Lucky 13: The NEW FileMaker Pro 13 platform is here!

Published by | Wednesday, December 11th, 2013

After 20 months of anticipation from the product community, FileMaker Inc. finally unveiled its next-generation platform for business productivity: FileMaker Pro 13. Having worked closely with FileMaker 13 for several months prior to launch to prepare for my new course, FileMaker Pro 13 New Features, I can tell you there are plenty of improvements in this release to satisfy any level of FileMaker developer or end user. For new FileMaker users, the platform makes it much easier than ever before to create beautiful app-like databases—and it offers some long-awaited features that FileMaker fans won’t be able to live without.

Chief among the more than 50 new features are

WebDirect
The marquee feature of the new FileMaker 13 is a web-sharing technology called WebDirect, which allows you to share your FileMaker database through any HTML5-compliant browser—with no web development skills required.

Databases accessed via the web use an interface that mirrors the one in FileMaker’s desktop app. Changes made through the web are updated to the FileMaker database in real time, so you can see up-to-date information regardless of the client used to make the updates. This is a very cool way to share your database with users that may not have FileMaker.

FileMaker Go’s app-like design tools
On the mobile device front, I’m excited to report that FileMaker 13 offers additional support for native iOS behaviors, including pop-overs, slide controls, and gesture support. The built-in cameras in the iPhone and iPad can now be used to scan bar codes, and FileMaker Go supports seven different iOS keyboard types, so users are shown the appropriate keyboard based on the type of data being entered.

Shareable themes and editable styles
FileMaker 13 builds upon the new design surface introduced in version 12 and adds major improvements to FileMaker’s design capabilities, including support for shareable custom themes and styles, and the ability to drag and drop data fields onto design layouts.

FileMaker offers over 50 themes, all customizable. To help you give the database a uniform look, FileMaker is introducing styles, which let you change the look of objects all at once. You can create custom styles and use them later. With more options, you’ll spend less time applying the same designs to all your layouts and more time using your database.

New browser-based admin console
A welcome treat for anyone who needs to manage FileMaker Server, FileMaker 13 includes a web-based administrative console that requires no Java and runs natively in any HTML5-compliant browser, providing crisp, clean, and responsive server administration without relying on third-party software.

In my new FileMaker Pro 13 New Features course, I go into each of these topics in depth, and touch on many more new things in FileMaker 13. Speaking as a 20-year FileMaker enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to check out this latest release, especially if need to get your databases into a web browser, or onto an iPhone or iPad.

FileMaker and FileMaker Go are registered trademarks of FileMaker, Inc., in the U.S. and other countries.

Share this:Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn1

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Lucky 13: The NEW FileMaker Pro 13 platform is here!”

1. michael says:

when does this training series get released?
    I can’t seem to find the date on Lynda?

thanks,
    Michael

2. Sonia says:

I’m so excited to hear that you guys are already all over this new update! I was just checking out Filemaker today and am getting very close to biting the bullet to spring for it.

I immediately went to see if you guys had a course for version 13. Have decided to hold off on buying Filemaker until you guys are able to launch the new training programs. (It’s been years since I created a database, and then it was Access.) Figure that in the meantime, I’ll just get a head start and start mapping out the tables on paper I figure I’ll need to create later on.

3. Eddie says:

I second Michael on wondering when the training sessions will be released! I just completed almost all of the sessions on FM 12 – Cris, you did an outstanding job – I learned a lot.

4. Todd says:

Did anyone get a reply on a release date for the FM 13 course from Cris ? I second the comment on his FM 12 course … Great stuff !

5. Its live!

Check it out here:

Thanks for the kind words on FM12 Videos…..all new Fmv13 reboots coming this spring!

6. Dawn says:

When specifying new features, it would be a lot more accurate if you’d state WHICH Filemaker Pro product supports them. The first feature you talk about Webdirect, is ONLY available to those who purchase Filemaker Server, a MUCH more expensive solution than Filemaker pro 13.

I’ve used (and appreciated) Lynda’s training, but please be accurate when “raving” over new features in your blog.

• Sorry for “raving”, I am a big fan of the new platform. Also sorry for the confusion, I mention the term “platform” in my introduction because thats what FileMaker, Inc calls their product family…which includes: FileMaker PRO, FileMaker SERVER and FileMaker GO. My video on new features covers all three.

7. Dawn says:

HI Chris,

Thanks for the reply :) I am a new upgrade owner of FM Pro, and learning my way around it. I was disappointed because I felt a bit “faked out” from your blog entry. One thing I’d love to do through Filemaker is to be able to show an interactive (view only) version of my database on my domain. From what I’ve read so far, the only way to do that is through FM Server, which of course is WAAAY far out of my price league :) I’ll have to continue to research ways to hopefully (eventually) transfer the effort I’m putting into my FM DB onto an online interactive experience. Any word that you know of regarding FM doing an Android version of FM Go??

I have used Lynda.com videos in the past and they are very well done. Thanks again for taking time to respond :) Often all people need is to be heard ;) Have a great day!

• Dawn- You will need server to share your database via the web. You can use PRO to share on the network for up to 9 users but for web you do need Server. No word on Android version of Go. Common question, though.