Introducing lynda.com playlists

Published by | Wednesday, January 9th, 2013

We’ve just added a new playlist feature on lynda.com that lets members create multiple lists of courses. Members can now build as many as 10 playlists, with the queue acting as the primary playlist.

Use playlists to set and manage learning goals. For example, if you want to master Photoshop, you might create a playlist of Photoshop and design courses to help you reach that goal. Or, create multiple playlists to organize courses already in your queue.

Add courses to your playlists

To start, log in to your lynda.com account. Add a course to one or more of your playlists from the flyout menu on the + button. Create new playlists on the spot when you select add to a new playlist… from the flyout menu or select go to playlists to view and manage all of your playlists.

The playlist menu in a lynda.com course page

Find playlists on the lynda.com homepage

Accessing your playlists from the lynda.com home page

Once you’re logged in, access the courses in your playlists from the my courses area on the lynda.com homepage. If you have multiple playlists, the dropdown menu will show them all. Select a playlist, and you’ll see the first five courses in that playlist. Click view all to go the playlists page, which includes your queue and all your playlists. You can also navigate to the playlists page from my courses in the top navigation bar on any lynda.com page.

Managing playlists

Managing playlists on lynda.com

On the playlists page you can see all of your playlists, create a new playlist, and reorganize the courses in your playlists. To reprioritize the courses in a playlist, click on a course, drag it, and then drop it where you like. Or grab a course, drag it, and then drop it in to a different playlist.

To learn more and to see playlists in action, watch lynda.com author Garrick Chow demonstrate how to add, find, and manage your playlists in our how-to video:

We want to know what you think!

Let us know what you think of playlists by posting in the comments section below, or contact us via the site feedback button in the bottom right corner of every lynda.com page.

Share this:Share on Facebook4Tweet about this on Twitter11Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn1

Tags: , ,

23 Responses to “Introducing lynda.com playlists”

1. Chad M. says:

Thank you SO MUCH for adding this! With the amount and variety of content available on the site, it was sorely needed.

2. Dave says:

This, IS FANTASTIC!!!

3. Ann says:

Great new feature! Thank you! It’s so much easier to keep track of my courses now. I especially appreciate being able to include courses in more than one playlist.

4. Billy says:

LOVE IT! thanks for this feature :)

5. Ben says:

Playlists are great, but it’s rare that our team ever needs/wants to go through an entire training title from first to last. It would be nice to be able to cherry pick from tutorials the *individual* chapters(?) that are of interest and create lists of those.

For example, I may want to learn about Photoshop retouching from across 3 different offerings on the subject, so maybe only 3 sub-videos would really be of interest to me to “list” or bookmark for watching later.

• Laurie says:

Ditto! This is an awesome feature but for it to be useful for me, I’d need to be able to select specific movies from a course. It would also be HUGELY helpful if I could add movies/courses to a playlist directly from bookmarks. Right now I have the problem that I have a ton of movies and courses bookmarked that I’d like to add to a playlist but there’s no way (that I can find) to do it except to go through each link one by one and add them individually. That would take forever!

6. Brett Bixler says:

Sharable Playlists would be fantastic!

7. Kevin Mitchell says:

Thank you! Love it. Want more! I.e., it would be wonderful if 10 was not the maximum. Also, if a given course could be placed in multiple playlists. Finally, if they would show up in my iPad version of Lynda.com. That’s all. :)

8. Amy says:

Wow – VERY SLICK – congrats! This is a welcomed addition and looks very easy to use and access from anywhere on the site. I wonder if Bookmarks are going to follow suit with organization features or fade away.

9. David says:

As a Lynda.com administrator, I’d like to know if a corporate playlist(s) detailing helpful courses that employees who are potential promotional candidates might need to know for promotional skills assessments….

10. [...] can reprioritize the courses in that playlist, remove courses, and even add more courses. Check out this blog post for more information about managing your [...]

11. Josh says:

Hi,
    I second the comment on sharing individual videos and not just courses. Our small multi-media team are cross training and the courses are just way too long. So our graphic designer would like to cherry pick videos across courses and put them into the key things that our team needs.

For teachers, they could pick videos across courses that match national standards and share those with students. This is a powerful feature.

Josh

12. Jereme says:

Thank you for this feature!! I watch a lot of different videos and I always found it a pain when jumping from topic to topic. Now I can create a new playlist for each topic I am learning about.

13. Rebecca says:

I too would really appreciate the ability to create playlists of chapters. Some of the videos just aren’t relevant to everyone so it would be really helpful to be able to create a custom playlist of just the relevant chapters, or chapters from multiple courses.

14. Jeremy says:

Is there any way to RENAME or DELETE an existing playlist?

• Jeremy says:

CORRECTION: I know how to rename or delete most of the playlists I’ve created, but I don’t see any way to delete or rename the one entitled “My Playlist” (the default playlist). Is there a way to delete or rename this one?

• Hey, Jeremy- right now no, the default playlist (My Playlist) can’t be renamed or deleted. I’ll pass this along to our engineering team to consider going forward- thanks for the feedback!

15. Eileen says:

hi, I would like to export all of the playlists I have created into one excel (or csv) file. there doesn’t seem to be a method to do this?
    thanks

• Hi, Eileen. Right now, no- this isn’t possible, but I’d be happy to pass your suggestion on to the web team for consideration in future releases. Thanks for the feedback!