Migrating to the cloud: What are your thoughts?

Published by | Friday, March 16th, 2012
Evernote is one example of a popular cloud tool being used by businesses.

Evernote is one example of a popular cloud tool being used by businesses.

In 2012 lynda.com will be investing more time exploring the way both individuals and businesses are migrating to the cloud. Office 365, Gmail, Google Docs, Evernote, and Salesforce are only a few popular cloud tools finding permanent homes in businesses worldwide.

We’d love to know what matters to you as you consider integrating or migrating to cloud tools. What questions do you have about cloud computing? Which tools are you interested in? What do you and your business need to know?

Please leave us a comment to let us know what’s important to you and your business and which technologies hold the most promise for your daily workflow.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Interested in more?
All business courses on lynda.com

Suggested courses to watch next:
Up and Running with Office 365
Gmail Essential Training
Google Docs Essential Training
Gmail for Power Users

Share this:Share on Facebook11Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn0

Tags:

16 Responses to “Migrating to the cloud: What are your thoughts?”

1. Imran ma says:

I think it will make designing more valuable

2. Josh says:

I am a student that has been left empty-handed when I thought that my iDisk had my papers on it when I got to school one to many times. I want absolute assurance that my documents will be where they should be. Every time. Not 99%.
    Also, I have been using Dropbox with great success. I measure success by how little I think about it. For some new player to come in and steal my business away from that reliably is going to take one heck of a product. BTW, iCloud is not that product. It is too kludgey. I don’t know where my files are when I need them. They say we won’t need to use nested folders but could you imagine sifting through hundreds or thousands of .txt files in five years with whatever app you happen to be using? No thanks.

3. Lynda.com is in the cloud. So is Twitter (and Rush Limbaugh now I hear – yipee…) The Internet is in the cloud. My local drive contains my local stuff. Maybe applications will become web applications. Maybe not. Maybe all my word processing and balance sheet creating, and Photoshopping and Premiere Proing will occur on the web. Maybe not. There has to be some little sliver of privacy left for me. I don’t necessarily want Google+ to know which artistic blur I applied to which photo. They already know enough. Kevin Kelly sees us transitioning from the desktop to the web to the cloud. From retrieving files to accessing web pages to streaming data right out of the sky. From opening a folder and selecting content to clicking a link, to the semantic web accessing tags and delivering up the goods before we even think to ask for it. What do I think about cloud computing? What did that fish think about climbing up out of the water and sunning itself on a rock? It didn’t really matter what he thought. Ready or not… here we go again.

4. You could produce more content discussing programming the API’s of Facebook, google, heroku and amazon web services.

Best regards,
    Arnar

5. Is this the same thing as Cloud servers? I’m a webdesigner/developer/graphic designer so deal with lots of technical things but all this cloud talk confuses me. I don’t yet understand the technology behind it and why it is different to just having all the data on a server somewhere. Why are cloud servers cheaper than shared servers? Is there something here that i need to know.

6. Ken Alan says:

I think it’s essential that a course in “cloud” computing include a strong warning about the risks of data mining. At the very least, advertisers reading your email and documents will result in being served age-offensive advertising (e.g., you’re 50 years old and you get ads for AARP, health cures, retirement communities, funeral services, etc.). Of greater concern is dossiers being sold to law enforcement, government agencies, insurance companies, employers and other organizations who can use the information gathered for discrimination and criminal prosecution. Also, the Internet is not reliable enough for “transactional” computing. Waiting 10-15 seconds for, say, a data record to transfer when the Internet connection is slow or net traffic is congested is too much of a hit on productivity. The best model is to have a local database (e.g. on CRM software) that is synced at regular intervals to a cloud database, but the user is always accessing the much faster local storage device (SSD or HDD).

7. Thank you for the great feedback! It’s helpful to hear both what you appreciate about the cloud (Dropbox, design possibilities) and what concerns you or leaves you with questions (privacy, data mining, server issues). Keep the terrific comments coming!

@Josh, cloud servers are one part of cloud computing–we’re eager to hear your feedback and questions on that, cloud applications, and the transition to cloud in general.

8. Daniel Bamler says:

Thanks for letting us taking part in helping you to produce the content we look for.

Cloud applications and services take more and more space and replace already established ways of storing data and using applications.

Lots of these cloud service have become very popular and part of people’s daily life the same way social communities do. As already mentioned in comments before confusion about the term and what´s behind the scene is going on.

Wherever I listen to people discussing cloud services, in my company or in private situations, security and reliability of cloud services are major concerns so this should take space in future courses.

I like to see videos where I can learn how to use cloud services and applications to build workflows, e.g. processing travel expenses. Using a workflow across multiple applications and services across different devices from all lots of places around the world while keeping the result centrally and save, that´s what kicks me when I think about cloud. Whatever tools you will choose, think about interoperability.

Another topic that would be interesting is running your SME business completely in the cloud. Including Printing, Scanning, Fax and typical business software.

Daniel

9. John Marra says:

I am a convert to the cloud. I have been using gmail for a couple of years now. I have two other e-mail accounts feeding into my inbox. Works well with my Android phone. I haven’t used an Outlook client for personal use in almost 3 years.

I mostly use Google Docs being that it’s available from virtually anywhere and that I can upload pdf’s.

I use the Google Calender and Tasks for my scheduling, synced with my phone.

I just started using Evernote, so far so good.

Currently looking at a cloud based backup solution as an added layer to my current offsite backup method. Never can have too many copies.

10. @Daniel, thanks for the great suggestion about running your business completely in the cloud! We appreciate the feedback about interoperability.

@ John, Glad to hear you’re liking Evernote and using Google with great success. Let us know what backup solutions are of most interest to you.

Thanks for the terrific feedback!

11. Jan says:

I would like to instruction on how to encrypt or apply a password to the file; that people I am sharing the file with will need to use to open up the file and if others break into the account they will need to do.

12. Prashant says:

Please proceed and provide Salesforce tutorials. I am in genuine need of the same.
    or please assist in how to approach

13. Vince says:

Training on Box.com would be of great value. I also agree that training on Salesforce would be helpful as well.

14. Miguel Cuzquen Rioja says:

Nice first look of Cloud Computing. Congratulations!
    Keep up with this good work!
    I’ll be looking forward to watch new courses on this particular topic.

Regards

Miguel

15. Andres says:

Thank you very much for the great content!
    I just wanted to see if you could make any courses about starting a Cloud based business.

Thanks again

16. ehab says:

Nice first look ,but is there any courses in how to build up your own cloud ?!

i mean how its realy work and how to develop a cloud services ,i have many ideas and i start learning
    php /mysql /html /css , and i have a good idea about c .

can u provide us acourse to know how to compind all these tools to upgrade the cloud computing to work with it instead of using the regular computing.