This week we celebrated the release of a new series entitled Branden Hall: Interactive Architect and Digital Maker. The series features an in-depth interview that lynda.com co-founder Lynda Weinman conducted with Branden last year, along with a tour of some of Branden’s most interesting work.
So who is Branden Hall, and why did we think it was important to talk with him?
• Branden has been associated with lynda.com for a long time, having been a featured speaker at many of the early Flash Forward conferences. This photo is from the 2004 conference in San Francisco. Notice the exciting technological advance that Branden was describing: the transition from ActionScript 1 to ActionScript 2!
• Branden has long been a thought leader in the use of digital technologies, including, and perhaps especially, Flash. Along with some other young developers and designers, he was responsible for exploring what Flash was able to do in its early years, beyond even what Macromedia originally envisioned.
• Along with Joshua Davis, he was one of the guys who gave IBM’s Watson the animated “face” that “he” uses to celebrate “his” defeat of human Jeopardy! opponents. When Watson’s face moves and changes, it’s because of the team of programmers and designers who made it do that.
• As the web has evolved, Branden’s work has evolved with it. His Endless Mural project shows how combining the web with new technologies like HTML5 can create crowd-sourced art collections that are available to all.
Over the years, Branden has led the way in showing how technologies like Flash and HTML5 can be used in innovative and exciting ways. In this mini-documentary, Branden gets to tell us a bit about how he comes to his ideas and how they’re realized. I could go on and tell you more, but this video series lets Branden tell you about it himself. We hope you enjoy it.
Interested in more?
• The full Branden Hall: Interactive Architect and Digital Maker segment
• All developer courses on lynda.com
Suggested courses to watch next:
• Flash Professional CS5 Essential Training
• Building Mobile Apps for Multiple Devices with Flash Professional
• HTML5 First Look
• HTML5: Messaging and Communications in Depth
• Big Spaceship, Digital Creative Agency