Meet the new content manager for Design, James Fritz

Published by | Monday, February 27th, 2012

James Fritz Headshot

As the new content manager for Design, I would like to say hello to all of our members!

I began my relationship with lynda.com many years ago as a member. With an appreciation for  learning as much as possible, my lynda.com membership helped me gain the skills that I needed to succeed in my career as a designer. Over time I became an Adobe Certified Instructor, and eventually an author at lynda.com. If you are interested in learning more about me, please check out my lynda.com courses, or you can follow me @jamesfritz on Twitter where I post design-related tips, news, and inspiration.

Here at lynda.com my job is to help envision future course development for the design segment, and work with authors to produce the best content that we can for you, the members. While we have lots of great things planned for 2012, I would love to hear what you would like to learn next.

In the comments below, please let me know if there are any techniques, technologies, or concepts related to design that you would like to see at lynda.com.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Interested in more?
• Courses by James Fritz on lynda.com
• All Design courses on lynda.com

Suggested courses to watch next:
• Muse Beta Preview
• InDesign CS5.5 New Features
 InDesign CS5: Interactive Documents and Presentations
Design Projects: Restaurant Menu
Photoshop for Designers: Color

Share this:Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn3

Tags: , ,

18 Responses to “Meet the new content manager for Design, James Fritz”

1. Most likely you already have this planned, but my suggestion is a whole new line of courses focused on Adobe CS6 apps when they come out soon.
    Like Photoshop CS6 – New Features, and Photoshop CS6 – In Depth.
    Thanks! Love Lynda.com.

2. Shia says:

I would love to watch a good marketing course for graphic designers.

3. Nat says:

I would love to see more tutorials or documentaries on creative pros dealing with illustration technique and tips (much like the one you did on Tokidoki), as well as drawing type, especially from amazing artists such as Alberto Cerriteño and Jessica Hische. :)

4. @Serhat – I am sorry, but our videos are currently only in English. I appreciate the suggestion.

@Shia – While do not yet have a marketing course specifically targeted towards designers, we do have a few marketing courses that might be useful to you.

@Nat – Thanks for the suggestion, stay tuned for lots of great new courses this year!

5. Jim says:

I would love to see courses on web page visual design. Not coding, but the basics of art and design used to make decisions that drive a web page design and layout. Something possibly comparable to the Treehouse courses in Aesthetic Foundations.

6. Serhat says:

Do you have training videos Turkish language option ?

7. Dennis says:

James:
    I’ve recently discovered some beautiful images on the DeviantArt web site that were created using fractal art programs. I’m familiar with the idea of fractals but had no idea that the process could be controlled to the point creating such gorgeous images (the flower images are mind-blowing).
    How about a tutorial covering what some of the fractal art programs are, how they work and perhaps some special techniques? (And which are available for Mac and where to get them.) At this point I’m clueless as to how these images were created, and would like to have a shove in the right direction to get going.

8. Hi there James!

I started as lynda user too, about 2 years from now ((I’m a web designer thanks to lynda). And as a baccalaureate in Communication I do have troubles designing in general. So I think some kind of basic course on Graphic Design for web will be great!

And of course the so waited videos of unity3d and ansca corona for developing videogames.

Finally some courses in cycles, for example: recommended curse this, and later that, and the pre requisites (sometimes you lost time realizing some course it’s very advanced your you).

So we can have more guided path in the lynda.com library.

Thanks.

9. mehmet says:

How to prepare a book of mathematical indesign?

If a course is very good about it:)

10. Ido says:

Avid Media Composer advance courses – for Effects for example. There are only basic introductory courses. It would bring Lynda.com a great deal of subscribers.Thx

11. Lykourgos says:

is it possible to make an essential trainning tutorial about adding more security on web(site) that covers things like SQL Injection, session hijacking, secure file upload, or secure data in the database, etc etc (php & mysql) and generally ways to prevent a website from being hacked? I’ve found some tips in some other trainning courses like php ess. train. or in dreamweaver etc, but I believe a complete tutorial about security maybe usefull, as there isn’t anyone in your library, besides there are alot of training courses about css, wordpress etc etc and not about security.

12. Mike Rankin says:

@mehmet –

For book production using InDesign, you can check out my new course Creating Long Documents http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Creating-Long-Documents-with-InDesign/89437-2.html

It covers the whole workflow, from templating to archiving.

For a mathematical book where you’re working with a lot of equations, you might want to look at plug-ins like these, which allow you to import equations from Word or create and edit math content right in InDesign.

Math Tools

MathMagic

13. Nick Mortensen says:

I’m interested in Magento. I know it is a shopping cart, so it may not have as wide an appeal.

14. Brynhildur says:

Dear James,

First of all; thanks for all the great courses on Lynda, I really loved your InDesign CS5: Interactive Documents and Presentations course.

My field is architecture and I do sometimes miss courses related to that field. 3D rendering and post production, for both stills and video animations and more Revit, AutoCAD 3D, 3D studio max, Sketchup, v-ray or maxwell render.

Thanks for a great site!

15. Deb Sorrill says:

Hi James,

2012 is supposed to be the year that the learning industry takes on mobile design.
    I would like to see design courses related to learning and mobile design for ebooks, tablets and cell phones.

I know that some of prototype development is already present for different applications. What I am looking for is what makes for successful designs in relation to learning, etc. As well as a course that would address purely the development strategies and issues for creating mobile designs.

thank you… I can’t remember how long I have been following Lynda… even before this site was available.. probably 1999. So glad this creative force for learning has blossomed.

• Greetings — I wanted to let you know that lynda.com is working hard to address multi-target design challenges like you mention for ebooks, tablets and cell phones. One of the new areas that we are focusing on within our web and interactive segment is around user experience and how to design with responsiveness to the target device. There will definitely be more courses in the library soon to help you in this area.

Best,
      Doug Winnie
      Senior Content Manager for Web and Interactive

16. Hi James,

I would love to know more about:
    -turning type drawings into a digitized typeface
    -marketing tips for freelance designers