This year, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences decided to commission portraits of each of the 20 2012 Oscar-nominated actors and actresses.
Who did they call? Renowned photographer (and lynda.com author) Douglas Kirkland, who has photographed hundreds of actors and performers in his storied career. The resulting portraits form an exhibit called Out of Character, which is on display at the Academy’s Beverly Hills headquarters until March 18.
Last Friday, Douglas gave a few of us an exhibit tour, during which he talked about the portraits and his process. We’re pleased to be able to share it with you. Check it out, then check out his Douglas Kirkland on Photography series.
Suggested courses to watch next:
• Douglas Kirkland on Photography: A Photographer
• Narrative Portraiture: Portraits of Two Texas Artists
• Douglas Kirkland on Photography: Natural Light Portraiture
• iPhone Photography, from Shooting to Storytelling
• Foundations of Photography: Composition