Tell us about your career—what motivates you?

Published by | Sunday, February 12th, 2012

I’m particularly excited to help you take the next step in your journey to becoming invaluable to your industry in 2012. Once you’ve determined your passion, skills, and most valuable activities, the logical next step is to apply this knowledge to develop your business savvy.

Since the release of our first course, Invaluable: Unlocking Your Abilities, I’ve been inspired by the feedback we’ve received. It makes my day when I hear about ways that we’ve helped you succeed!

Our lynda.com courses are a massive team effort and we’re constantly refining the message in order to deliver what we believe is the best possible learning experience.

In order to make our courses the best they can be, and to serve you better as individuals, I’d like to hear from you. I’d appreciate anything you have to offer. To give you some ideas, here are some questions I’d love to get your thoughts on as you go about unlocking your abilities and developing your savvy:

1. What are the biggest challenges in your career right now?
  2. What do you love about your current job? What do you hate about it?
  3. What motivates you at work every day?
  4. How entrepreneurial are you? Are you considering breaking out on your own?
  5. What keeps you awake at night about your work?
  6. What would you like to change about your professional future?

I’ll be monitoring this blog post and replying directly to your comments, so please, be as specific as you’re willing to be. I look forward to hearing from you!

Interested in more?
• The full Invaluable: Developing Your Business Savvy course
All business courses on lynda.com

Suggested courses to watch next:
Time Management Fundamentals
Creating an Effective Resume
Project Management Fundamentals
Invaluable: Unlocking Your Abilities

Share this:Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on Google+1Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn3

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Tell us about your career—what motivates you?”

1. Jahanya Roy says:

Hi,

It’s good to read all this. I am currently looking for ways to pass my accountancy exam. I want to be professional accountant so the BIGGEST CHALLENGE right now for me in my career is passing the exam.
    Thanks.

2. Hello – I am a Graphic Designer with 23 years experience with print advertising. I am very new to the web design and animation field. With my age and years of experience I find it hard to land a fulltime job as a Graphic Designer. I am beginning to market my skills as a freelance Graphic Designer with one client for now. The ultimate FEAR of being on my own is what bogs me down. The what ifs.. what if I do not make much income to suffice my daily needs? How do I get to a consistent workflow?

3. Hi,

I have been a print designer for many years. 5 years ago I started my own freelance business. Biggest challenge for me right now is learning web design/coding. It is a lot different than print! The best part of being in business is the variety of companies and projects. My motivation is I need to be busy and I love to learn new things! I do not like selling but it is necessary to talk about my business, so I’m somewhat entrepreneurial. What keeps me awake is worrying about finding new clients. In my experience, people leave companies and with them often goes their business. What I would like to change about my future: I would like to be more comfortable with public speaking.

4. Junaidi says:

Hi Mr Dave, I’m Junaidi from Indonesia.

First thing is to salute you Mr Dave. I change a lot of things, started from the time management course, I am changing my life ever since.

My current problem is that I have 2 business. Which need my presence and a lot of my time. The reason I have this situation is because I am afraid and I want to feel secure. If one business down, I still have another to hold on.

The problem is, it is hard to delegate some tasks to my co-wokers because in my opinion, that task is vital and I shouldn’t give that to other people, since they can start their own business and become my competitor.

I really need an advice or a change in my pont of view, so that I can accept and delegate things and time so I can really enjoy my life.

5. @ Jahanya – That’s really exciting. Thank you for sharing.

Do you have a set schedule for studying daily and weekly? Also, are you working with a coach or mentor to help you?

I think you’ll find the courses on Ability and Savvy (and the upcoming course on Authority) to be valuable to you at this stage in your career.

6. @ Aleli – Thank you for your candid perspective.

When you’re in a currently crowded market like Graphic Design is, it becomes even more important to differentiate yourself. I highly recommend you watch the course on Savvy, as it will help you identify a target market for your skills and learn how to understand that market better.

Also, be on the lookout for the upcoming courses on Connection and Authority, which are particularly applicable to your situation. While you are waiting, here are a couple of suggestions:

- Connection will help you find clients through networking in the business marketplace. Are you currently participating in any networking groups? If not that’s a great place to start.

- Authority will help you stand out above the crowd, adding to your differentiation. Do you run any social media groups or a blog devoted to your unique perspective on graphic design? These are simple first steps to building market recognition.

Some of your questions, particularly the “what ifs”, deal with entrepreneurial issues. Hopefully soon we’ll have a course up that will begin to help you with those.

7. I thoroughly enjoy your courses. I’ve trained myself on numerous coding languages. I am a Graphic Designer, Web Designer and newly adding Web Developer. I am very proud of my knowledge and hard work, I have you to thank for this assistance and opportunity.

However, I am finding it very difficult to land a job in my field. I keep receiving, “you’re over qualified”. I am interviewing for positions at my level. I am unsure why this is happening. I’ve worked my butt off making myself valuable, now apparently I’m too valuable. Suggestions??

8. Anthony says:

My wife and I opened our own online video production and marketing firm about 8 months ago.

Biggest Challenge:
    We are busy, but our biggest challenge is growing the business in the right direction. We would like to do larger interactive projects with production teams put together on a project by project basis. Finding the time to plan and pitch for such projects is difficult because we spend most our time producing smaller single online promotional videos to pay the rent.

What do you love about your current job? What do you hate about it?
    We love being our own creative team. Being small we are very flexible and can do things quickly. But, it’s a double edged sword. Being a small start-up means it can be difficult to get in the door for the larger projects and we have a limited capacity to take on work.

What motivates you at work every day?
    Creating stuff and putting ideas into action. Working together as a team in all aspects of our lives together.

What keeps you awake at night about your work?
    If we fail, there isn’t much of a safety net.

What would you like to change about your professional future?
    Produce bigger projects with bigger budgets. Expand our creative talents and get paid to apply them. Become more financially secure. Always have great projects to choose from.

9. Anne Corless says:

I love all these type of courses. I work in the visual arts as a Fine Artist, Designer & Illustrator, Medical Artist, Art Demonstrator /Tutor and Writer! If I could just sit in my studio and design/ paint life would be wonderful…..

I am aware I need to keep learning how to run a business and how to make the most of my creativity….in order to be able to make a living. All courses that help me do any of this are very welcome!

Anne Corless

10. @ Shannon – Thank you!

This is a bit tricky not knowing exactly what’s taking place in the interview. You’re clearly qualified, so my best guess is that completing the Savvy course would help.

Here’s how:

1) If you improve your understanding of the position prior to applying, you can customize your resume to that position. Many people “over qualify” themselves by putting many different skill sets on their resume that are unrelated to the position. Remove or re-spin any job experience not directly related to the position, so that it sounds perfectly targeted.

2) If you improve your understanding of the company in advance, you can learn how to fit in culturally during the interview. Sometimes applicants are branded as “over qualified” because they are not a fit culturally. For example, if a company culture is relaxed and casual and you show up wearing business attire, no matter how well you interview you’ll be perceived as “above” the position or company.

Let me know if this helps!

11. @ Anne – Thanks for the feedback! Hopefully we can get you some entrepreneurial guidance soon on lynda.com, as well.

12. Aernout Zevenbergen says:

Hi to all,

For the last nearly quarter of a century I have been a writing journalist, most of that time I was based in Africa, reporting on news, features and trends. However, with the demise of old-fashioned print journalism, and the slipping away of clients, I have had to make a radical career change – which seems as if I’ve only started, three years down the line.
    The complications lie in mastering whole new sets of techniques in telling stories in a way that is “21st century proof”. Words no longer are what keeps the “consumer” stay with a story. He/she wants to be informed in much shorter manners, with more moving imagery, on platforms that have nothing to do with paper.
    Getting those techniques right, so people are moved by the stories told, is the hardest part. In the last few decades, all I had with me was a fountain pen, a notebook (of the paper kind) and my senses open to all and everything around me.
    That no longer suffices. No matter how deep in the bush, I need to be somehow present on all possible medias, in the most captivating ways. It raises the bar, and sometimes does so – I find – at the expense of quality. There’s hardly time for reflection and silence, so insights can rise, and contemplation can ripen the story.
    Technique is too important, I often feel.
    Yet, there’s no other way than forward.
    Without ever letting techniques get so far as to dictate what the heart of the story is.

Thanks,
    Aernout

13. Bernard says:

- What are the biggest challenges in your career right now?

I’m starting a new business in Web design and development. My biggest challenge is to be able to find GOOD clients that are worth working with them. How to qualify better clients and make them choose me for their web projects.

- What do you love about your current job? What do you hate about it?

I love that I can work from home and I’m my own boss (I’m not too concern about the millions I can get, I like freedom, that’s what I want). I hate the need to be too analytical, organized and logical to be able to do an awesome job, as I always pretend to do.

- What motivates you at work every day?

I do web development to have enough money and freedom to give my gift to the world, compose music and write my book. My current business is a part time job that lets me achieve my deepest felt purpose in the long term.

- How entrepreneurial are you? Are you considering breaking out on your own?

I’m on my own, no doubt, nobody gives a damn about me. If I’m going to make it, I know it’s going to be up to me.

- What keeps you awake at night about your work?

How can I be perceived as the best in my field and charge my clients according to that.

- What would you like to change about your professional future?

I wabnt to become a music producer and a sucessfull writer (not in that order). In order to do that, I’m being a FREE lance.

Good luck with your next release!

14. @ Anthony – Thanks for your candid replies. This is really very helpful in giving us ideas as to what kinds of courses I might provide in conjunction with lynda.com in the future.

I would especially like to help you with the “double edged sword” you mentioned. There are specifics when it comes to harnessing business chaos that we haven’t covered yet. I hope to, soon.

In the meantime, I’d recommend that anyone on your team (including yourself!) who hasn’t completed the “Time Management Fundamentals” course on lynda.com please do so. That will help you free up some time to workON your business instead of just work IN it.

15. @ Aernout – That’s really great insight. Thanks for your perspective! Media and mediums have evolved tremendously and will continue to do so. This is part of the reason why I created the material you’ll find in the Invaluable: Developing Business Savvy course. We need to not just react to changes in the marketplace, but be able to predict them before they occur.

Thanks, again!

16. @ Bernard – Regarding finding “good clients, check out chapter 3 “Customer Savvy” in the Developing Your Business Savvy course. Although it mostly worded for an employee in a business, the principles there still apply to a freelancer. I’m seeing some demand for a more business/freelancer focused course, too, though.

Congrats on striking out on your own and enjoying the freedom of it! Please stay in touch.