Published by | Thursday, February 17th, 2011

We’re working on a course for job seekers, and we’re wondering if you have any questions about how to improve your resume to find the job you want. I’ll be interviewing the author when they are in town recording the course, and putting that interview up here on the blog. I’d love to hear your ideas for questions. Put your questions here in this post’s comments, and we’ll answer as many as we can. (We won’t use your name or private information in our response.) Thank you!

Share this:Share on Facebook21Tweet about this on Twitter13Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn4

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to “Need help with your resume? Ask questions you’d like answered in our upcoming interview.”

1. i have a question that, when ever i face any client or any one who just want to me confuse, my mind just goes blank, there is nothing in my mind to express myself, i think there is some sort of lack in confidence, HOW TO TACKLE THESE SORT OF PROBLEM

2. Stephen Day says:

Hi, and thank you for this opportunity. I am a recent graduate from Full Sail Universities Game Development programming. I am now on the job hunt, but am told that resume’s in the tech industry, especially the gaming industry are laid out quite different than your average resume. How should one approach a technical resume specifically targeted at the game industry whether it be for a programmer of designer? Also curious about business cards, as these are important as well when at industry events and networking, such as when attending GDC (Game Developers Conference).

Thank You.
    P.S. Glad you got some training for linked In.

3. Chandelle says:

What sort of resume is best for the web design/graphic art type field? Should we have an online version as well…such as an online portfolio? Or should it be in print? Thanks! This course should be really helpful since I’m graduating this year!

4. Romain says:

Do you usually attach you cover letter or simply include it to the body of the email?

5. Michael says:

Here’s an idea: Can you compare and contrast LinkedIn and the traditional resume, please?

Thanks for reaching out and asking what questions job seekers might have!

6. Pinon says:

Functional or chronological? How should you highlight special computer skills? Should you call out certain skills that a job posting has listed? When do you go to 2 pages?

7. Alison says:

Are CAREER OBJECTIVES passe’ or what? If it’s supposed to be about targeted resumes nowadays, what’s the point of wasting space with “This is the type of job I am looking for” ? And yet, I know people that swear by them.

8. Jorge Reyna says:

Hi there,

In Australia no one will look at you if you don’t have an online portfolio. The online portfolio should be a simple design layout where you can showcase your wonderful work. Remember you don’t want them to be distracted by your site, you want them to look at your work. The resume should be in PDF, it is more professional, if your website uses a design pattern, it will be nice the resume somehow has the same design and also your business cards. It shows consistency and professionalism. To get into the interview your application should match the selection criteria in order. You can have two separated files one the cover letter and the other the selection criteria. Last year I applied for 3 jobs, all they called me and offered me the position.

Finally, if you find a job you want and you dont match the selection criteria do not apply unless you want to lie. Then if you get the position on top of the stress of new job you will be stressed trying to learn whatever you said you were capable to use.

Good luck,
    Jorge

9. We’ve got some courses in lynda.com that could help you implement your plans.

If you decide to create an online resume, you might want to see the course, Creating an Online Resume: Hands-on Training, with author Laurie Burruss. http://www.lynda.com/tutorial/760

If you decide to create an online portfolio, you might like to see, Creating a Portfolio Web Site Using Flash CS4 Professional, with author Paul Trani. http://www.lynda.com/tutorial/59956

Cheers,
    Cynthia
    Content Manager, Web and Interactive Design Segment
    lynda.com

10. Steph Clements says:

This seems to be an age where “experience” is seen as “too old to be creative”. I am a creative in my 50′s and I can’t get people to see what I have to offer. How do I craft an honest, time-reflective resume that doesn’t automatically take me out of the running in a time when companies prefer to hire less experience for less salary?
    Thanks!
    Stevie

11. Online portfolio for sure is what is necessary.
    No matter how long your resume is, they want to see jobs.

12. @Stephen Day,
    The most important thing programming managers look for, in addition to the usual job history, is a list of your skills: the programming languages, development tools, databases, etc. in which you claim expertise. In addition, I recommend attaching a 1-page project history – what sites/applications have you worked on, what technologies were used, and who was the client? All of these can help draw a good profile to a potential employer or freelance client.

13. Daniel says:

In the certification section of the resume, should I include the certification exams that are still in progress or future plan?

Example like the following format:
    • CompTIA
    – A+ (in progress)
    – Network+ (in plan)
    – Security+ (in plan)
    – Linux+ (in plan)
    • Microsoft
    – MCTS (in plan)

My targeted job is IT Specialist (tech support/system administrator) and I have completed quite a few Lynda.com courses before, where should I mention them in my resume? in the technical skill, certification, or the education section?

Thank you.