Published by | Wednesday, December 29th, 2010

This week, we published Foundations of Photography: Exposure, an in-depth look at the concepts and techniques behind photographic exposure—from shutter speed, aperture, and ISO to depth of field, histograms, and reciprocity.

Author and photographer Ben Long, whose first lynda.com course was Photoshop CS5: Landscape Photography, shows how going beyond your camera’s auto-everything mode is an essential step to improving your photography. Indeed, one of Ben’s key messages is that once you really understand your exposure options, you can take advantage of them to get the kind of creative results you want.

Ben’s course is the first in our new Foundations of Photography series, which examines aspects of photography that go beyond specific cameras or specific versions of Photoshop or Lightroom. We think it’s as important to master these foundations as it is to master the latest versions of Photoshop, Lightroom, and other software tools.

One of our resolutions for the new year is to complement our tool-oriented courses with new courses that teach photographic foundations, that let you tag along with professional photographers and understand their technical and creative processes, and that combine instruction and inspiration.

Foundations of Photography: Exposure is the first of this new breed. Please let us know how you like it, and let us know what other types of foundational topics you’re interested in—not only in photography, but in other areas, too.

Happy New Year!

Share this:Share on Facebook2Tweet about this on Twitter13Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn2

Tags:

23 Responses to “The lynda.com Foundations of Photography series looks at concepts and techniques”

1. Mike H says:

I just finished watching Landscape Photography- my first lynda.com course. It was fantastic! Ben’s a great instructor- he not only went into the how to do things, but the why I as well. His objective instruction vs. subjective critique is unparalleled. I’m really looking forward to getting started with his new course!

2. Gretchen says:

Thank you so much for adding this “foundations” element to your classes. I am very excited to watch and learn about photography and would also like to see foundation classes on topics such as graphic design.

Thank you!

3. Chandelle says:

I’m so glad you are doing a series on photography techniques! I look to lynda.com to learn practically everything that has to do with digital creativity and this just fits the bill! Thanks!!

4. Alan S. Wicks says:

I have seen both of his courses and found them quite useful. In the newest course he mentioned a Foundation course on Lenses. Sounds interesting and am eagerly awaiting it.

5. Sandy says:

This was long overdue. I expected you guys a long time ago to publish photography tutorials esp. for beginners to complement the courses offered here like Retouching. I am glad that this become reality. You guys rock and I am really grateful for lynda.com and Mrs. Lynda personally for deepening my knowledge in the Creative Arts field.

Keep up the god work and I wish you all a Happy New Year full of joy and success.

6. Berezoni says:

I loved “foundations of exposure” course. Ben is such great instructor. Can’t wait for more photography classes.

7. Pat says:

I am just about finished with the Foundations of Photography: Exposure course and I am so excited about learning things from Ben. F-stops, aperture, ISO were always a mystery to me. I am really excited about the up-coming courses… Great Job, and thanks so much….

8. Don Carter says:

Love It!

9. Chris Sigmon says:

This course was FANTASTIC! I am looking forward to the Foundations course on Lenses, that Ben alludes to in this one on exposure. I would support emphatically the addition of more hands on general instructional courses in both photography and videography technique.

Keep up the good work lynda.com!

10. douglas wade says:

Ben mentioned in the exposure course about a lens course. Is that one in production, or is it called something else?

11. Bianca says:

Thank you very much of doing a series on photography. It was the part I was missing when I started. I orginal signed up for webdesign but I see now so many other interesing courses.

I hope that we get movies about photography and argitectuur, photography objects etc. Just different subjecs.

Maybe it is also an idea to get lynda.com user to come in contact with each other or you can have your own profille? You can share ideas and practise together.

Other ideas are a course about making a collage with photos or something. Something is ready to print to give to friends and family.

12. Patrik says:

Thank you for this excellent course. I found the course to be just what I was looking for, having just bought my first DSLR. Really looking forward to the next course in the series.

13. Jackie says:

Excellent course!

Would also be good to get some film-making courses as well. Maybe a ‘How-To’/Workflow course about filming a short movie using a DSLR?

14. Philip King says:

This course was beyond excellent, the best I’ve seen, and this is coming from someone who has been to Kelby’s site. Ben’s ability to illustrate what he is explaining by having it up live on the big screen makes the concepts come to life and finally make sense. Now if he is willing to be this thorough with a multiple remote speedlite class, then I will be a very happy man. Really good job Mr. Ben Long. Looking forward to the Lenses class and much more.

15. @Douglas Wade — Yes, the “Lenses” course is in the final stages of production. You’ll see it published to the Online Training Library® in the coming month.

16. Loved the course! Ben long is certainly skilled in teaching the material. He explains it so well for the new photographer. Hope he continues to teach additional courses for the beginner.

17. Velanche says:

I’ve just received my first dSLR, a Canon Rebel XS, about three days ago. Shortly afterwards, I was looking for a book that would give me a quicker understanding on my camera than the manual that came with it. Enter “The Canon EOS Rebel XS/1000D Companion,” published by O’Reilly Books and written by Ben Long. I’ve ordered it this morning and, after going through the first two chapers, was convinced that Long would make a great author to follow through the rest of the book.

Today, I logged onto lynda.com to find whatever photography-related courses might be available. Lo and behold, its newest course was “Foundations of Photography: Exposure,” taught by none other than Ben Long himself! I’ve only saw the first two chapters of the series, but again, he articulates the topics in ways that a beginning/aspiring photographer like me can easily digest.

Between the camera, the book, and the lynda.com course, I’m feeling like lots of things falling into place in rapid fashion. I’m eagerly looking forward to the rest of the series, as well as more Foundations photo courses.

Thanks lynda.com for making an already valuable resource even better. Happy New Year!

18. Len Rawlins says:

I just finished the course on exposure by Ben Long. I learned a lot! He is a great teacher. I would like to see the course on lenses that he talked about.

19. Brian Walworth says:

Courses like this is why I love my subscription to lynda.com.

20. jaine says:

woo hoo, lenses is coming soon? excellent news.. cannot wait! thank you lynda.com!

21. Mohammed says:

Great teacher! I’m really excited about the lenses course. Any hits as to when we can expect to see it (other than Q1 of 2011)? :-)

22. Barbara Tubbs says:

Hey. I think there’s something incorrect with your links. I hope you can repair it!