Meet the new program director for Web & Interactive Design: Cynthia Scott

Published by | Friday, February 19th, 2010

Hello members! I’m Cynthia Scott, the new Program Director for Web & Interactive Design here at lynda.com.

One of the reasons I’m working at lynda.com is that I believe in the power of transformation. I have seen how people can light their own fire by taking advantage of the rich, deep quality of resources at lynda.com. It is an honor to be part of the team.

In my previous work as an educator, I planned media communications curriculum and helped teachers deliver classroom training. As a Center Director for the Multimedia & Entertainment Initiative in California, I worked with a statewide network of educators, developed industry relations, and created strategies to keep education at the forefront of emerging technologies. My last project was working with the New Media Consortium to produce the 2009 Horizon Report: Economic Development Edition.

Now, for lynda.com, I’m planning courses on web and interactive design topics for the Online Training Library┬«. My job is to envision future development, then send out the acquisitions team to find exemplary authors. Our authors work with a dedicated team at the company to produce courses. The result is new and compelling content for you, the members.

So, what would you like to learn next? I’d like to know what you want, so we can maximize your time in the library. For today, I’ve got three questions for you:

1. What additional courses or projects would you like to see for Dreamweaver and Flash?

2. What other web design and interaction design topics would you like to see in the library?

3. Are there any teachers, trainers or conference presenters you recommend that we contact?

I’m looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Share this:Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn0

Tags: , ,

25 Responses to “Meet the new program director for Web & Interactive Design: Cynthia Scott”

1. Lorenzo Kirkpatrick says:

I think it would be great to have courses on how to manage a media / design company or studio. The basics of having a company vision statement, business plan, how to find / encourage clients, billing practices, what’s a professional attitude vs what’s unprofessional, etc.
    Just an idea.

2. Lynne Parker says:

Paypal.

3. Abdulaziz says:

I think it would be great to have More courses on advanced topic ( PHP CSS JAVASCRPT )

4. James Cherry says:

Hello Cynthia,
    Good to hear that you are a part of lynda.com. Best of luck for your new job…

I want to share some ideas for the course on Flash Platform…

FLASH PLATFORM Courses:

1. 3D in Flash (Basic/Intermediate/Advance)
    There are many popular ActionScript libraries out there for 3D like (Papervision3D, Away3D, etc), I would like to see some courses related to these libraries, may be you should do a course on Away3D and couple of other 3D libraries, and go from Basic to Advance level. Papervision is more popular and its new version will be released soon, so you can start another course for PapervisionX specially. These courses will be worth buying, as people are very keen to learn about 3D.

2. Building Games for Facebook and other social networking websites…
    This is need of the time, as popularity of Facebook is growing day by day, I can bet something related to this topic will definitely attract the coders to understand the games and integration with Facebook APIs, etc.. to make our games work.

3. Flash for Mobile (and other screens if possible)
    Well, I am sure that you all have already heard about the OpenScreenProject, started by Adobe and lots of biggest brands in the market have already started to support it. Flash Player 10.1 is about to complete its beta phase and complete version will be released soon. So it would be good to have a detailed course on how we can make apps for multiple screens.

4. Adobe AIR 2 (Advance course)
    I have seen couple of courses on AIR at Lynda.com, they are good for beginners. But as AIR 2 is almost there for release with its new set of features and we really need some advance trainings on this technology in order to build most interactive desktop applications ever possible.

Thats all for now, I hope these ideas will make sense to you. I’ll keep posting if I have more ideas in future.

Regards,
    James

5. Congratulations Cynthia! I would have loved to see this as a video post with transcription. Hope all goes well for you at lynda.com.

Tanya

6. Laurie says:

While the lynda.com library has “InDesign CS4: Interactive Documents and Presentations,” I’d really like a title dealing with InDesign and XML for online eBooks. I know Anne-Marie Concepcion, David Blatner, and others have blog posts dealing with this topic, but it seems scattered and incomplete. Many of us are chasing the Holy Grail of “producing once and publishing anywhere,” (also known as COPE, Create Once and Publish Everywhere).

7. Russ Harlan says:

Courses on Articulate Studio.

Also, courses on the skills that will needed to to interactive design *without* relying on Flash.

Best practices for learning design.

How to produce a great webinar, tips for interactivity in webinars, etc.

8. Laura Kozma says:

While I know the standard is still being developed and browser support is incomplete, I’d like to see some courses on CSS3 and its video / animation capabilities, including developing Web sites that work nicely for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad.

9. Thanks so much for your best wishes and course recommendations. I appreciate your thoughtful responses and am collecting them to add to our planning process. You are important partners for us and I’m looking forward to a continuing dialog.
    -Cynthia

10. Tech Guy says:

I think it would be great to have More courses on advanced topic as well

11. Karen Teeley says:

Hi Cynthia, Congratulations on your new position! I would love to see a course on “Articulate”
    Thank you!

12. joe godfrey says:

Welcome, Cynthia. It looks like we were recent neighbors. I’m still at the Art Institute in San Diego just down the street from Aero Drive.

I agree with all the previous posts, especially the iPhone and PHP CSS Javascript posts. Video for the web and interactive media is a different approach than cinematic shooting and editing. So is sound for that matter.

Can’t get enough on SEO too, although the rules and algorithms change constantly.

Looks like you’ve got a lot to choose from. Looking forward to your stewardship in this area….

13. Jen says:

more courses on more of the development side like others mentioned, php, javascript, groovy, rails, sql, java etc

also i’d like the courses to be more about learning the language not just using a tool like dreamweaver to write the code for you.

thanks!

14. Brent A says:

Hey Cynthia –

Congratulations on the new position (although MEI will miss you!).

My recommendation for courses? The technical courses are of course the backbone of lynda.com, but I would love to see more about how you use the technology to connect and engage with an audience – elements of a good story, writing, design principles, etc.

15. Ernie Nemec says:

Congratulations on your new appointment.
    Tutorials for consideration:
    1. HTML 5
    2. CSS 3
    3. eBook publishing for diverse platforms (eg iTunes, Amazon Kindle, Sony Reader etc).

Thanks!

16. Geri Daily says:

I’m a newbie about the technical aspects of webinars. I have a graphic design degree, but find that the work force requires so much web knowledge, and I’m feeling left behind. I’m embarrassed to write that I also have a degree in multi-media (Go Live!, Flash, etc.), but our instructor was confusing, would forget which assignments he gave us, seemed more concerned with students who already knew most of the programs, and was reluctant to help us after class hours.

I have been watching the tutorials on Dreamweaver, SEO, etc., but do not see anything about producing webinars. Additionally, I worked briefly on a program (temp. job at a consulting firm) that sent out email blasts for our clients, but can’t seem to find anything on the lynda.com site like this. lynda.com is such a great tutorial site. Will you be getting more tutorials like the ones I’ve mentioned?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Geri

17. I really appreciate these comments. In addition to technical courses, I see the need for:

1. Courses on how to engage and connect with people (thanks, Brent), including practical, how-to courses, such as eBook publishing, webinars, and email newsletters (thanks, Geri).

2. Production principles (e.g. video and audio for the web and interactive design vs cinema)

3. SEO, advanced courses, languages, and just-in-time production skills

Thank you for your input. You are helping to shape future courses.

Warm regards,
    Cynthia

18. Carol says:

I would really like you add Articulate Presenater, Articulate Quizmaker and Articulate Engage elearning tutorials.

19. Ron says:

I would love to see a course or two on Groovy! Thanks!

20. Susan says:

I’d like to see a course on using and implementing the Articulate SDK to create custom skins.

21. Cynthia,
    Per your request for suggestions for instructors, I recommend Tim Frick of Mightybytes. We’ve worked together for a long time and he is an instructor and presenter in media design and digital techniques. His new book, Return on Engagement is being published in April. http://www.timfrick.com
    Thanks!

22. Nick Barker says:

Would love to see some presentations by Stephanie Sullivan of

23. Thanks, everyone, for continuing to leave suggestions of topics and potential authors. These are great ideas!

24. James says:

Please publish more courses for Game Development for Social sites (Facebook) and Mobile platforms… using Flash and other technologies…

Looking forward to see some exciting courses soon…

25. Will says:

Courses on __Articulate_Studio__.

Best practices for learning design.

How to produce a great webinar, tips for interactivity in webinars, etc.