Another you-asked-for-it new feature: lynda.com Flash Beta Player

Published by | Wednesday, November 4th, 2009

We’re in the process of many new website and delivery enhancements right now. So many members have requested a non-QuickTime-based player that we’ve been hard at work, making it happen! The Flash player is completed and live on the site in beta test form, but we are still in the process of converting our 40,000+ movies to Flash, so not all courses are working with the new Flash Beta Player yet. For this reason, it’s not available as an over-all preference (accessible via My Training > Preferences), but it’s very easy to set it up as the preference for a particular course.

Flash Beta Player

The lynda.com Flash Beta Player

The lynda.com Flash Beta Player has the same look, feel, and functionality as the lynda.com QuickTime Beta Player, with an added bonus: the maximize this window button. Click to make the player fill your monitor window. When maximized, the button turns into a minimize this window button that when clicked, brings the player back to standard size.

Flash Beta Player

Choosing the Flash Beta Player as a course preference.

To access the lynda.com Flash Beta Player for a particular course, click on the Course Preferences tab, choose Flash Beta Player, and then click on apply. This only changes the preferences for this course. For now, the Flash Beta Player is not available as the default player for all courses, but will be once all the movies in the library are converted; due for completion in December 2009. And yes, a WMV player is in the works too, but not ready for launch just yet.

Share this:Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Pin on Pinterest0Share on LinkedIn0

Tags: , ,

8 Responses to “Another you-asked-for-it new feature: lynda.com Flash Beta Player”

1. Chris says:

Good move! Flash video on OS X is horrible (guaranteed to tap out your processor and make your computer fans run full blast – thanks Adobe!) and the QuickTime Player for Windows has always been a step behind the QuickTime Player for Mac (thanks Apple!). Offering the videos in both formats gives everyone the option that best fits their needs.

Choice is good.

But please, for the love of all that’s holy, don’t ever go to a Flash-only format!

2. Todd says:

Great to see such a massive victory for Flash on the web, in the face of much criticism and many challengers

3. Alberto says:

“So many members have requested a non-QuickTime-based player that we’ve been hard at work…” Well, please take in consideration that you don’t get a request for a QuickTime based player because that is the standard. QuickTime works perfectly for me and I’m very pleased that it is the standard, I’m worry that the Flash player will become the standard and QuickTime will be relegated.

For me Apple have been gaining share in the PC Market and this tendency will continue. lynda.com is in part a contributor that this is happening. I hope that those who prefer the QuickTime player will express their concern so they will be taken in consideration.

4. Lynda says:

Thanks for your thumbs up, Chris. To clarify: We are going for a multiple format offering, with the goal to not limit anyone to a format they don’t like or that doesn’t work well on their system. Every format has pros and cons, but choice is what we’re aiming for! Appreciate your support!

5. noj says:

It shouldn’t really matter should it? if you convert all your videos to h.264 format both flash player and quicktime would be able to play it. Another bonus is that the video size is going to be smaller sucking less bandwidth and faster loading times.

any plans to release an iphone app, so i can videos while going home on the train. I am pretty sure there might be others like me as well :)

6. Sara says:

I agree with Noj, ability to play these videos on my iPhone would be amazing.

Thank you for all your hard work on lynda.com, I Loooooovvveeee the site!

7. Ed Garay says:

Popularized by YouTube, Flash Video is not only today’s Internet streaming video format of choice, but also the most advanced, given the Flash programming framework. Flash playback is also ubiquitous and best poised for cross-platform playback.

Keep up the good work, Lynda.

Giving your clients options, desirable options, is great customer service. I am very happy that I am licensing lynda.com tutorials campus-wide, for all of UIC.

Greetings from Chicago.

8. IanCC says:

Although Ed is correct that Flash is the most dominant form of video streaming online, I would disagree that it is the “format of choice” and is certainly not the best for cross platform.

Adobe’s version of Flash on OS X is absolutely horrible and takes more CPU power that both Photoshop and Illustrator combined. I am glad to see lynda.com offering choice to the end user and if Windows users want to see Flash video then they should be able to make that choice, though I agree with Noj that h.264 would be better than Flash.

One of the only things I think could use improving on lynda.com is the small player size of the QuickTime movie files, especially for a learning environment. I would love to see a zoom feature on the QuickTime versions of the current videos. Here’s hoping.